Thursday, January 14, 2010

Lunch for One

Lunch today is soup, salmon croquette, and biscuit (all leftovers).

Tuesday, I made the soup with stock from the bone from our Christmas ham and the neck from our Thanksgiving turkey, using the method from Simply Recipes (basic gist: pour some water over it, put it on the stove, and leave it alone for several hours). After I strained it in went some white beans I'd been soaking, a can of tomatoes, some more chopped onion, and dried marjoram and oregano. After a couple of hours, when the beans were done, I dropped in some zucchini chunks and frozen green beans (linked, because they're my favorite) and made some boxed-mix biscuits while they were cooking.

I use an egg and some water instead of milk for the biscuits, and I threw in some white whole wheat flour to make them a little more substantial. Mmmm, warm biscuits... (That's what she said...)

I made salmon croquettes last night, using Joy of Cooking's recipe, except (there's always an "except") I pan-fried them in a non-stick frying pan, with just enough olive oil to cover the bottom. I left them on the first side for several minutes, using my patented method for perfect pancakes: walk away and do something else so you don't touch them. The second side only took a minute or two. When each batch was done, they went into the 300 degree oven I was preheating for brownies. Making something else at the same time helps the Don't Touch It process.

The croquettes are good on their own, or with lemon juice or some good balsamic vinegar (we have some fig balsamic from Old Town Oil). The soup is good, but I put some Tapatio hot sauce in it, and that's just tasty.


I better finish eating before the cat eats my lunch.

No comments:

Post a Comment